I was invited to a New Year’s Day dinner party and asked to bring a dish. Given that it is the new year and I know that most people endeavor to eat healthier in the new year, I decided to make a tasty salad that is both refreshing and filling. Check out the recipe below…
For the salad:
5 ounces of Baby Kale, rinsed
8 ounces of strawberries, rinsed
1 medium-sized navel orange
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
For the dressing:
1 medium-sized navel orange (can substitute 1/2 cup orange juice)
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
A dash of sea salt
A dash of cracked pepper
- Rinse the quinoa before use. Bring 1/2 cup of quinoa and 1 cup of water to a boil. Turn heat down to low and cover saucepan. Let simmer for 15 minutes then remove from heat. Let water absorb for about 3-5 minutes then fluff with fork. Set quinoa aside to let it cool off.
- Cut the stems from each strawberry and slice into 1/4 inch slices.
- Cut the orange into bite-sized pieces.
- Place baby kale into large salad bowl. Top with cut strawberries, oranges, and cooked quinoa. Place bowl in the refrigerator to continue to let quinoa cool.
- Prepare vinegarette: Cut orange in half and squeeze the juice of the orange into a blender or food processor. Add honey, salt and pepper. Blend on high for a few seconds then drizzle in olive oil and apple cider vinegar slowly until well mixed and emulsified.
- Remove salad from refrigerator and drizzle with citrus vinaigrette and lightly toss dressing into salad.